Absinthe wormwood is not allowed in the usa. Is the key ingredient lost?

czechgurl posted on Dec 01, 2007 at 06:20AM
I would love to hear your input.

Absinthe 6 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Actually, the ban was lifted last summer I believe. They are only allowing 4 brands to be sold there, though...

Everything in the US comes down to money. I imagine those 4 brands paid off the right people ;)

but to answer the question, yes. Absinth without wormwood is a poor imitation. That really is a key ingredient.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago czechgurl said…
The ban was lifted in the US but the stipulation was that wormwood was to be left out of the drink in order in to sell it here in our markets.

I agree with you when you say "Everything in the US comes down to money" and I add, the people drinking/buying the imitation absinth here in the US are oblivious posers.
Well, I know that the Absinthe being made in New Orleans does have the wormwood in it, and nobody has shut him down.

All along fake Absinth could be sold, the ban was actually on the wormwood itself. That is what I am sure was lifted over the summer.

I'll look around and see if I can give you a link. I think I posted a few here. Be back shortly ;)
Absinthia sells some strong Absinthe and is allowed to ship into the US:

link

Here is the confirmation:

"Some cheap imitations lacking proper ingredients have been around for a while, but absinthe containing grand wormwood (a main ingredient) was just approved for import and sale in America in May. "

link
last edited over a year ago
I put a few more articles in the Links section for you ;)
over a year ago czechgurl said…
Thanks. I will look into them.