Fatboy Slim Trojan Records 'Takeover' series featuring new remixes from Fatboy Slim and Justin Robertson

cutout posted on Jul 19, 2007 at 12:33PM
ARTIST: FATBOY SLIM / THE CHARMERS
TITLE: SKINHEAD TRAIN (REMIX)
RELEASE DATE: 03/09/07
FATBOY SLIM TAKES AN EARLY TRIP TO THE STUDIO TO SHOW SOME LOVE FOR ONE OF HIS
FAVOURITE LABELS

Taking some time out from his relaxing 2007 schedule and in homage to this iconic label, Norman has stepped into the studio for the first time this year to bring us a Fatboy Slim treasure, exclusively for Trojan. Celebrating this diversity and the wide reaching influence Trojan Records has had, this year, the label’s 40th Anniversary, sees partnerships with some of contemporary music’s leading lights to bring reggae music to the masses. Breaking genres and musical boundaries the Trojan Takeover series offers the controls to the dance music legends of this world and none more fitting of that title than Fatboy Slim.
Norman’s passion for Trojan Records began at the tender age of fifteen when he was given a ‘Reggae Chartbusters’ CD by then bandmate, Housemartins singer Paul Heaton.
“Aside from Bob Marley and everything it was the Trojan sound that I really liked, especially the old blue beat sound which has haunted me ever since, the instrumentals are always my favourites or as a DJ the cover versions of soul tunes that I could play out.”
Moving from soul and reggae and taking his cue this time from the skinhead/ska era, Fatboy Slim’s vocal heavy mix of The Charmers’ ‘Skinhead Train’ is a stripped down, bare-knuckle hip-hop gem. Putting Lloyd and The Charmers firmly back in the minds of music lovers everywhere, Fatboy Slim’s ‘Skinhead Train’ is a contagious number for a new ska generation.
The Takeover Series will be available to download on itunes on release.
2007 IS TROJAN RECORDS 40TH ANNIVERSARY

ARTIST: JUSTIN ROBERTSON / THE PIONEERS
TITLE: (I NEED YOUR) SWEET INSPIRATION - REMIX
RELEASE DATE: 06/08/07

MANCHESTER TECHNO LEGEND JUSTIN ROBERTSON LAUNCHES THE TROJAN TAKEOVER REMIX SERIES WITH A PIONEERS CLASSIC…

“It's a top tune - I love the switch of groove in the middle - Justin Robertson has worked wonders - I will be playing this out a lot” – Fred Deakin.

“Really brilliant, love it, great summer party music.” – Chris Coco

What a year it’s shaping up to be for Trojan Records. Celebrating 40 years of this iconic label, 2007 has seen reggae brought to the masses through a series of artist led compilations and now, bringing reggae straight on to the dance floor, with the launch of the Trojan Takeover remix series.
Justin Robertson, Manchester’s rave scene setter and dance music champion, is the first to take the controls in this exciting new series. A true modernist, Justin Robertson’s musical CV is as rich and varied as his travels as a globetrotting DJ. His work as a producer has seen him remix names such as Bjork, Radio 4 and Felix da Housecat, work with Fatboy Slim and produce several of his own tracks under a variety of names. His Rebellious Jukebox club pre-empted the Heavenly Social and the mid 90s trend for mish-mashing musical styles.
In the 90s Justin generally operated under various nom de stages, the most renowned being Lionrock with whom he scored several Top 40s hits - 'Rudeboy Rock' and 'Packet Of Peace' among them. Lionrock’s echo can be heard loud and clear in this reworking of the Pioneeers’ classic ‘Sweet Inspiration’.
Formed in the 1960s the Pioneers were one of the first groups to have smash hits in the new form of music that followed ska and rocksteady, reggae. Following the 1969 release of their second album ‘Long Shot’ on Trojan and the success of the ‘Sweet Inspiration’ single, they worked with the legendary Jimmy Cliff on material he had written. They became an international success and their name became part of reggae history.
This is a true summer anthem and likely to be heard from boom box to beach bar over the coming months.
Look out for forthcoming ‘Takeovers’ from Fatboy Slim, IG Culture, Cosmo and more…

2007 IS TROJAN RECORDS 40TH ANNIVERSARY

Fatboy Slim No replies