Lost Thoughts on D.O.C. (3x18)

papa posted on Apr 26, 2007 at 07:02AM
Wow. That's all I can say. This was definitely one of the BEST episodes of season 3 to date.

Why? Well, I'm a sucker for the Sun/Jin flashbacks. There have been so many good ones to date and this one was especially awesome. So many emotionally charged and moving scenes.

The meeting between Sun and Jin's father? Totally heartbreaking. Here's a man who raised Jin on his own. Jin might not even be his own blood. The man is totally selfless and truly cares for his son who has pretty much abandoned his old man out of shame. Jin's father cares so much about Jin's feelings that he begs Sun to never let him know about their clandestine meeting. Ugh, that scene was choking me up bigtime.

Discovering that Jin's life in crime was instigated by Sun's secret giving in to Jin's mom's extortion. Ouch. That really hurt. I guess I shoulda seen it coming, but hearing Jin ask Sun to give the money back to her dad so that he would not be indebted to her father while realizing that she would ultimately go through with using the money which would effectively seal Jin's fate (and debt to her father). Man, that was just pure Shakespearean tragedy.

The moment when Sun hears from Juliet that the child was conceived on the island. We are led to believe that Sun is crying tears of sorrow - which is what Juliet believes only to find out that they are tears of joy. Joy that the child is Jin's.

What a great, great episode. Totally cuts to the core of the humanity and character development that is what makes Lost great.

Attention writers! The gimmicks and the fun little smoke and mirrors are cool, but the character driven stories like that of Sun and Jin are what fuel Lost fans like myself.

That's enough of my thoughts. What did you think?

Lost 4 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago dave said…
I just finished the episode and will have to agree with Papa (and we don't always agree!). That was by far one of the best episodes of the season if not the best. The Jin/Sun story is definitely one of my favorites because it's so tragic and yet hopeful. The other stories are all just kinda tragic. This episode was no different. You see more of the pain and heartbreak behind their relationship (all of which papa outlined so eloquently above). Really love the name of the episode D.O.C. - Date of Conception because that date was so pivotal in Jin and Sun's relationship and Sun's life.

Aside from the flashbacks however, the mysterious woman from above and the reappearance of Mr. Eyepatch post-barbecue was pretty intense too. When she uttered the words, "No, flight 815, they found the plane. There were no survivors. They're all dead." Chills! No one is looking for Flight 815! Either she's a plant from the Others sent to banish all hope that they will ever get rescued or she's telling the truth and they're all dead or there's some big plot that faked all their deaths. Consider my interest piqued again.

As for Juliette and being up to no good, although they showed her saying she hated Ben after she stopped recording, it seems like she is still going along with the plan to betray them in another few days. I'm just hoping she turns around before then. I really want to like or or trust her, but I just can't. Things are starting to get real interesting again on LOST. It's about time!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago thecon said…
That was a great episode... arguably this season is the best yet, but at the moment I'm torn. I can't wait to see the rest of this season, yet I know that we will then have to wait until January next year for season 4!! Also.... is Kate pregnant? I think she might just be...
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago davetay said…
I think that they never found flight 815, the Mastermind back in town is covering up their survival. The mysterious girl is really just looking for Desmond who wasn't not part of the crash. She couldn't be bringing much good news except that by being tasked to find Desmond she couldbe an important link to finding the crash survivors.

The twist I suspect is that they should really be better off in the island than being rescued to return to town. For example the Mastermind could have been planning a some sort of a Noah's Ark and the island they are on is the ark.
over a year ago thecon said…
It is locke's flashback this week and it is an on-island flashback showiing what happened after Ben revealed his Dad.

The flashback order up to the end of this series is.......
3.19 John Locke
3.20 Benjamin Linus
3.21 Charlie Pace
3.22-23 Jack Shephard

Gonna have to be very interesting if they're putting a Jack flashback on the finale. I'm hoping it could bring about the reveal that claire is his sister.... or something else.