Lost Big plan or winging it?

customtee posted on Oct 11, 2006 at 08:46PM
I love lost but really found the first two seasons seemed like they really didn't have a full story of what was to happen. So for a show like 24 the writers and producers have planned everything out. It seemed like the basic ideas behind lost were made in the beginning but you can tell they had NO idea where the show was going and no long term plan. As a result there have been many loose ends, breaks between shows but i guess this madness is part of its appeal. Unfortunately I think they are just making it up as they go along.

Lost 4 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago dave said…
Haha...I've read that the writers definitely had a master plan which is why they can refute many of the theories. I'm pretty sure they have the general idea since they gave lots of clues this summer in the Lost Experience. That gave more of a picture as to who the others are. Watch the Others training video, that was really helpful.
over a year ago benji said…
I think what you have to remember is that there are two seperate things, character plots and island plots. I think that the main island was planned out all along, they knew what was happening and they knew a few basic characters who were needed.

As for characters, we all know they've winged it, Jack was meant to be killed off in the pilot, Ben and Desmond were meant to have left permanently. Kate was originally meant to have had Rose's storyline, Sawyer was originally an older man, as was Charlie.

So yeah, part of it is on the fly, but the main part, the part that matters, isn't winged, it's just very VERY clever.
over a year ago thecon said…
Yeah.... I agree with benji. What they're doing is drip feeding the audience a few nuggets now and again, when it is needed... However 24 is not as thought out as you'd think.... they have a very vague idea of what they will do, but mostly they make it up as they go.... the producers have admitted that!

over a year ago Nav said…
I haven't watched the 3rd season (waiting for the DVD), so I'm just talking about the 1-2 seasons...
The first season had this feel that if you collected enough pieces of the puzzle you'd be able to figure it all out.
My problem with the second was that it didn't. I thought it was like "let's see what crazy ideas we can find and fit it the show, however detached they are"...