Marvel Comics Fans Opinions Required!

samgaunt1988 posted on Nov 16, 2008 at 08:31PM
Hi guys

I'm currently researching for my dissertation, I'm looking into whether or not comic book movie adaptations need to be faithful to their source material in order to be considered successful.

I've set up a group on Facebook if you'd like to help and discuss this with fellow fans.

If you search for "Comic Book Movie Adaptations and Faithfulness", FanPop wouldn't let me post the link.

Thanks, guys

Marvel Comics 5 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Ironman007I said…
depends on if it sucks or not.
over a year ago l3371 said…
Yeah.I mean,if you want to give the storyline a LITTLE oomph,you can,but don't go changing the COMIC,PEOPLE!Or...try making something "Cooler" than it is...or just changing the story all together...either way,fans will be ticked....
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago ztara said…
i dont think it has to be 100% faithful, although it cant wander off to were the hell it like *cough* Constantine *cough* i think whats more important is it retains the feel of the characters and the mood of the world that the original authors have carefully and skillfully built. a good example i think is Hellboy although they were pretty good with the story (i know 100 people are going to disagree) they retained the colour palette and lighting that the comics had and thats why i liked them (perticuarly the 2nd), they 'felt' real and true to the comics even if they wern't
over a year ago axemnas said…
cool
sticking to the comics would be good cause they are what made the charater popular or at least they should stick to it within reasons were like they can put they creativity into it as long as they stick close the actual story
over a year ago bishopsX said…
I am a 30+ year Marvel fan and collector who had to literally wait that long for a decent big screen adaptation to even occur.I think creative liberties can be great as long as the source material is not completely butchered(i.e. the Ang Lee Hulk)I believe it is a success that the comic book movie genre is the box office juggernaut it is today because the days of Meteor Man and SuperMan 4 are not that far removed