The Heroes of Olympus The Son of Neptune: the stolen memories.

mixthealphabet posted on Jan 29, 2011 at 03:55PM
Okay. Let’s try this! I can’t promise this story will be finished because I have never tried to actually write a fic with more than three chapters. This time was an impulse, really, something that just got me out of nowhere and I had to try it.

Title: Son of Neptune: the stolen memories.

Rating: Probably YA, might turn into T

Type: Romance/Adventure

Characters:
Percy
Annabeth
Jason
Piper
Leo
Reyna (Daughter of Mars)
Dakota (Daughter of Juventas)
Bobby (Son of Apollo)
Hazel (Daughter of Trivia)
Gwendolyn (Daughter of Janus)
Thalia
Rachel
Nico

Synopsis: Join Percy Jackson in this new adventure as he tries to survive in a new camp, filling in for their lost leader, Jason Grace. The romans are different from all he has ever known and now he has to find his place in Legion or ruin Hera’s plan and end up dead. Without his memories, staying alive might just turn into the hardest task he has ever accomplished.

Disclaimer: I do not own Percy Jackson or Heroes of Olympus (it does not matter how much I wish I did)

A/N: Please, reply. Comments are my source of energy.
last edited on Feb 08, 2011 at 11:40AM

The Heroes of Olympus 97 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 97

over a year ago mixthealphabet said…
Prologue: I go amnesiac.

There are days that seem bad. There are days that seem awful. And there are days when you simply ask yourself what the hell were you thinking when you decided to get out of bed – or, in my case, out of the river. So, yeah, I was having one of those days. Maybe I should start from the beginning, then.

When I woke up I should have realized it wasn’t okay to do so. I opened my eyes to stare at the bottom of a lake. Under my form, different animals were swimming around, busy doing whatever fishes do. Once in a while, one of them stopped and stared at me, saying something like “Son of the sea god.”

I, of course, thought it was just a dream. The whole breathing underwater, reading fishes’ minds was just absurd.

I turned to the other side, my green eyes adjusting to the sudden brightness. Other sounds got to my ears and I realized there were people shouting. Shifting my gaze to the shore, I saw three teenagers: a sixteen year old boy with brown skin and curly hair, a seventeen year old girl with pale complexion and gold curls and a fifteen year old girl with dark hair and a tanned body.

And that was when the dream turned into a nightmare.

The boy had an arch in his hands, his clear blue eyes staring at me in suspicion. Despite the fact that I was completely sure I’d never met him before, a flash came into my mind of an eighteen year old guy with sandy hair, those same eyes and an outdoorsy appearance, an awesome car in the background. To his right, blondie carried a sword, though she looked more curious than ferocious.

“Show yourself, intruder!”

It was the brunette girl yelling. She had an aggressive look in her eyes, as if I had done something terrible to her, pointing her lance in my direction. I wasn’t sure what I’d done but couldn’t help thinking that whatever it was I didn’t deserve being turned into Percy on a stick. The older girl frowned at her, seeming a bit frustrated with her friend’s actions.

“He’s a demigod, Reyna, can’t you feel it?” The word used to describe me sounded extremely familiar but I couldn’t remember what it meant, its significance on the tip of my mind but never revealing itself. “Not a monster, not whatever captured Jason.”

For an instant, Reyna’s image caved and she looked terribly miserable. I felt sorry for her, knowing that Jason might have been someone important to her. As I looked at them, I also noticed that the boy had dropped the arch and was staring at the brunette with an expression between sadness and longing.

And then they all had their weapons pointing directed at me again.

“What’s your name, stranger?” Asked the blonde girl in a less threatening voice. I felt my head ache.

“Percy.” I answered, finally getting to the shore. “Perseus Jackson.” I took my hand to my forehead, feeling the pain intensify. “Who are you?”

“I’m Dakota Reynolds, these are Bobby Luzes and Reyna Mackingley.” The blonde girl said, indicating her companionships with her head. “We wish to know what you are doing here, Perseus Jackson.” Despite the more gentle tone she was using, I could tell by the way she held her sword that if I made any risky movement, that would be the last thing I’d ever do.

I frowned slightly, trying to remember how I had gotten to that lake. Nothing came. No memory at all of who I was, what I was doing there, where I was. My eyes widened and I looked at Dakota in surprise and fear.

“I don’t know.”

She looked at me as if I was crazy.

“You don’t know? You should know what happened to you so you would end up here.” Behind her, Bobby and Reyna also looked curious.

I shook my head in a bit of despair.

“You don’t understand!” My voice sounded breathless, the realization had hit me in the chest like a rock. “I have no memories, at all.”
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago wisegurl said…
laugh
Awesome keep writeng!! :)
over a year ago Calypso_ said…
cool
cool! great start keep going!
over a year ago AltPercyU said…
Nice and don't make your pairings so obviously cuz not is funnier or more annoying than angry die hard percabeth fans
over a year ago babbytreegrowth said…
big smile
i like and i think you apell percy's full name like this Perseus Jackson, otherwise it's great
I hadn't even noticed my mistake, thank you. Changing it to Perseus.
over a year ago PJhero02 said…
smile
great job so far!!
over a year ago percyrulz said…
big smile
more more and fast
over a year ago AmazingPercy said…
Cool post soon plz. 2nite?
Who is Juventas?
Juventas is Hebe's roman equivalent.
Cool
Chapter 1: The corridor of faded gods

Initially, they just kept staring at me, probably trying to think about what they should do with the fact that I had shown up out of thin air and onto their property with absolutely no idea of who I was but my name.

Yeah, things like that don’t just happen.

“You can’t believe we would just buy that.” Reyna walked to me, putting her spear to my chest. “Perseus, you should just tell us how you got through our defences before my patience ends.” For a small girl, she was quite scary but I managed to keep an unaltered expression.

“I’m not lying. I don’t even know where I am, who I am. Can’t you just give me the benefit of the doubt and stop with the threats?” We stood like that for a second, measuring each other. As I saw the anger in her eyes, I was suddenly aware of everything around me: the way the sun was hot against my shoulders, the strange tingle I felt in the small of my back, the extra weight on my left pocket.

“No.” Reyna roared as she moved forward. I felt her spear against my skin and dove sideways, deflecting her attack. I rolled onto my back, pulling a pen out of my pocket. Its cap fell to the ground and it suddenly turned into a sword, right on time to block a new assault.

“Stop!” Dakota had shouted, her own sword positioned at her friend’s neck as she tried to restrain the brunette. The younger girl looked up at her, hurt clear in her brown eyes. The blonde obviously saw this too, because she dropped her sword, just holding Reyna’s right arm. “You can’t kill him just because you’re worried about Jason. We have to take him to Lupa.”

The girl snorted, looking at her friend with disbelief.

“He’s lying to us. We don’t know who he is, where he came from. And you want to let him deeper into our lands.” She pulled her arm free aggressively but didn’t turn to me again. “I can’t believe you!” She, then, glanced at me over her shoulder. “I can’t believe him.

“But I can.”

We all turned to stare at the dark skinned boy who had his arch on his shoulder and a somewhat friendly expression.

“Bobby?” It was Reyna again but her voice was filled with only surprise as her gaze shifted from him to me and back.

“It’s okay, Rey. I’m not sure why, as always, but I think we can trust him.” He smiled in a charming way, trying to convince the brunette. She frowned but said nothing this time, accepting his opinion. “Come on, Percy Jackson. We have many things to discuss and explain. Lupa shall be expecting you, she often seems to know things before we actually do them.” He, then, looked up at the sky, murmuring something like “hope it’s a good sun feeling, dad”.

The boy waited until I got to his side as we walked towards where this Lupa person should be, Dakota and Reyna leading the way. “I’m Robert Luzes, call me Bobby.”

I accepted his hand, shaking it. Even though he was being polite and even cordial, I could see a glint of unsureness in his blue eyes.

Bobby pointed and described everything he could about the Legion as we passed through the camp. He told me about the way most of the kids lived there their whole lives, training and, at some moments, having fun. Most of the place’s names were written in Latin and I found it hard to accompany his explanations.

“What exactly do you train for, here?” I asked, my eyes probably wide open as I saw two kids of fourteen years old pass by, fighting with axes. Bobby took a deep breath, scratching the back of his head.

“Well, here comes the hard part.” The boy sighed. “We are demigods, Percy. Half human, half gods. Our godly side has this smell that attracts monsters and it makes our lives difficult to, well, survive.”

I blinked, confused.

“Gods like Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Athena...” I felt my head start to hurt again, a pain that seemed to come out of nowhere, troubling my mind too much so I couldn’t be able to access my memories. Robert nodded, interrupting me.

“Yeah, kind of. Those are the greek gods. They faded away with their civilization, turning into the roman gods once Rome had taken Greece’s place as the occident’s center of control. So, when we talk about gods, we are really thinking of Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, Minerva, etcetera.”

I stopped, feeling my head pound again. Bobby finally noticed my contorted expression and helped me stay on my feet.

“That can’t be right. The greek gods...”

“They are gone.”

The voice was soft but full of authority and, as I looked up, trying to see through my pain, I understood that this was Lupa, the Legion’s director. From the shadows, appeared a woman, dark chocolate hair that descended in waves onto her back and eyes that crackled like fire. She was dressed in a white roman dress, with gold straps.

“Robert, son of Apollo, go fetch Gwendolyn. I am to talk to Perseus alone. We shall be done by the time you come back with her.” Her face showed no emotion at all, but her eyes seemed to pierce through my soul. I wondered what would it be like, what could my spirit possibly tell that my memory couldn’t. Bobby bowed, pulling my arm so I would do the same. With a “Told you, she always knows.”, he walked away.

I hadn’t expected or wanted to be alone with Lupa. Her presence was ferocious, fear in its most pure form. With an intern tremble, I realized I was in front of someone that wouldn’t hesitate before trying to kill me as Reyna had done.

The woman made her way into the Big House, a huge temple of roman architecture. Inside it’s walls, statues of roman gods stood silently, guarding the way. I suddenly felt watched, as if those same figures were actually alert to my moves, waiting for what I might do next.

“Who are you, Perseus?”

Lupa had her back to me, mindlessly going through the details sculptured onto the armour. She sounded confused and it felt that the question wasn’t really meant for me to answer. I took a step towards her, trying to reunite all of my confidence before speaking.

“I’m Percy Jackson but that’s about all I know.”

She turned to me again. Her blazing eyes were terrifying and, still, I couldn’t feel any fear. They reminded me of something, people I had known someday but that were taken from me. There were things that couldn’t be taken away, though, and the familiarity I felt as Lupa stared at me was one of those things.

“But do you understand what you are?” The woman was suddenly by my side with the agility of an animal, a calculating expression in her face as she analysed my reactions.

I shifted on the spot, feeling uncomfortable with the proximity. The director seemed to emit waves of power, telling me that no matter how familiar she seemed, Lupa was not someone I had ever met but was certainly someone I should respect.

“I’m a half-blood, right?”

My answer was obviously something she hadn’t been expecting, because the woman took a step back, blinking in a stupefied way. In all her poise and power, that flabbergasted expression was somewhat comic, making her look like a spoiled child whose parents had finally denied something.

Such aspect was gone in a second and I felt more than saw her human form quiver, showing that she was still alert to whom I could turn out to be. It gave me a sense of insecurity and I felt my palm twitch as I tried to suppress the urge to withdraw my sword.

“Half-blood?” Lupa circled me, a suspicious tone in her otherwise gentle voice. “What makes you use such word, Perseus?”

Just then I realized what she had meant, what had made her so doubtful about me. Not once had any of the Legion soldiers said anything about half-bloods. They called themselves demigods, campers, heroes. The expression had just popped in my mind, like it had always been there.

“I don’t know.” I exclaimed, turning away from Lupa, irritated with my lack of knowledge. I was being interrogated on matters I didn’t have a clue, as if losing my memories wasn’t bad enough. When the director came back into my vision, she was in her original form: a she-wolf with chocolate red fur and silver eyes, much more expressive than her human ones.

I was able to control my surprise but felt my body tense as her presence grew stronger. A memory of a she wolf that raised Romulus and Remus, the creators of Rome, came into my mind.

“You are saying the truth, aren’t you, young hero?” Her voice echoed in my mind and it took me a while to realize her lips hadn’t moved.

“You’re able to read minds.” I stated in a thought and the wolf parted her lips, presenting me with white, sharp fangs that could have pierced through my skin with obvious easiness. Trying to ignore my instincts of hide, run, slay, I understood that this was her way of smiling at my realization.

“I’m very strict about the soldiers I accept in my territory. You have to pass the tests of reliability and strength.” The she-wolf started to walk deeper onto the house, leading me to a corridor full of new statues. The place looked like it had been forgotten, immersed in dust and darkness. “But, first, we have to find out who is your godly parent.”

I stopped as I was about to touch one of the sculptures that had caught my attention, turning to Lupa.

“What about the unclaimed?”

Around us, something changed again. I was starting to hate these expressions that just came to me, even though I couldn’t remember ever listening to them.

“There’s no such thing here. The Legion only has the best and the best is not so easily forgotten by the gods.”

Those words made something in my chest burn and, again, I had to suppress the urge to attack.

“The gods are forgetful.” I said in a spiteful tone. Lupa looked at me over her shoulder, probably listening to my thoughts to try to find out the reason behind such reaction. I crossed my arms over my chest, sustaining her gaze with defiance in my own eyes.

“Watch your words, demigod. The Olympus may be closed but they are always listening.” Despite my annoyance, I kept my mouth shut, feeling that she was right and that my lack of care had already gotten some of the Olympians against me.

As we passed another statue – this time, a well built man with battle armour, a handsome face covered in scars and the aspect of someone who could start a fight with an empty room –, Lupa slowly turned back into her human form, snapping her fingers and making all the torches of the corridor light up.

“Do you know who they are?”

At her question, I looked around, paying closer attention to the figure we’d just gone by, noticing a small inscription at its bottom.

“That’s Ares.” I said, my eyes wandering through the enlightened corridor. “That’s Artemis and that is Hestia.” I smiled in glee as I recognized, little by little, each of the sculptures. Lupa smirked by my side, though it was humorless.

“Do you know who your parent is, Perseus Jackson?”

I stopped looking around and stood planted for a second, staring at a point of the blank armour wall.

“Yes.” I felt my headache start again and increase as I paced the hallway restlessly, looking for him. In the most secluded area of the corridor, illuminated for the dim light that came from one central torch, by the right side of Zeus, was my father, the god of the sea, Poseidon.

Lupa was next to me in the blink of an eye, a frown adorning her ferocious – but otherwise beautiful – features.

“Neptune?” She asked and I turned to her, feeling the most confident I had been since waking up.

“No. Poseidon.”

The frown turned into a blank stare and the woman caught my arm, pulling me closer to her. I didn’t react, too surprised.

Lupa examined something that was around my neck, a necklace with five beads. Through my headache and astonishment, I noticed that the hand holding my upper arm was trembling. Even in such state, I found myself wondering what in the world could be terrifying enough to cause fear in such a powerful, hum, creature.

As if to answer my question, my eyes found a poorly lit statue on the opposite side of the corridor. Standing tall and haughty was Hera, the queen of the sky.

Lupa released me, her eyes turning silver as she slowly went back to her she-wolf form, probably trying to control her emotions, which had to be easier when in her original self.

“I am right, aren’t I?” I asked, following her as she walked out of the corridor. “Hera brought me here, she took my memories. You know who I am or, at the least, where I am from!” I looked down at my orange shirt, in which three words I couldn’t make out were written, and from that to the necklace beads. “Tell me!”

My shout echoed through the roman hall and Lupa turned to look at me again, a dangerous glint in her eyes.

“You shouldn’t be here. Hera is playing a very risky game. She warned me someone would come but I had no idea it would be someone like you.” Her voice in my mind was loud and hostile. “I swore on the river Styx I would never say a word about this and I won’t. One promise has already been broken and, in such a case, there are always consequences.” She stepped aside from the entrance, in a clear sign she wished me to go.

“Gwendolyn is waiting for you on the steps. Be careful, child of Greece.”
over a year ago wisegurl said…
laugh
Awesome!!!! Ur a really good writer!!
over a year ago Aphroditeskid21 said…
big smile
This was Great
Hey. I don't know if anyone will read this, but I'm looking for a beta for this story. If interested, PM or send a email to kacau.mackinton@hotmail.com.
big smile
AMAZING!!!! ur such a good writer!! i luv this story!
over a year ago ThaliaGrace8 said…
heart
i love your story, you r an amazing writer! Post again soon!!!
over a year ago kaylap1410 said…
What do you mean by beta?
big smile
You are the best writer on this site! Sorry to everyone else though! I love the wording and it makes me anxious to read more.
big smile
Thank you so much. Beta reader is someone that reads the chapters before they are public and checks for any mistakes.
over a year ago Jas55jar said…
big smile
your story is awesome, your detail is sooo good!!! I can't wait to read more!
over a year ago ThaliaGrace8 said…
PLEASE POST SOON! IM HOME ALL ALONE AND NEED SOMETHING TO OCCUPY MY TIME!!!!! and i really want to read more of your story lol
crying
please post
I am not pressuring you. I learned from my own forum that pressuring someone to post makes the feel worse, but I don't think you should give up. The quality of your story is amazing. Continue writing!
over a year ago Avery09 said…
that was awesome! i love lupa u made her a really interesting character
Okay, people, I own you a very big apologize. This week was one of the craziest weeks I had had in a very long time and I ran completely out of time to actually write the chapter. Today was the only day I got to do something and this turned out shorter than I intended. Still, I hope you guys will like it.
Again, sorry for my delay and thank you so much for your replies.

Chapter 2: I turn into superman

Just before I could pass, though. The wolf attacked me, jumping without a moment’s notice. I stepped back, grabbing the pen just in time to protect myself from the claws, stopping them at inches from my face. Lupa didn’t seem fazed by my movement and retreated gently, a strange emotion in her eyes.

I tried to understand what had occurred but the Legion’s director had already vanished. Still alert, I exited the big house, grateful to finally leave. A few stairs down, someone waited for me.

Whatever I was waiting Gwendolyn to be, well, she wasn’t. The girl I met on the steps that lead to the Big House was completely different from all the others I had seen in the camp so far. She had messy curly brown hair – in a “I just woke up” sort of way – and was literally jumping on the spot, a grin in her exotic face.

The girl looked a year, maybe two years, older than me and she had this air around her that just screamed different. It made her look interesting, even beautiful maybe. That look was only reinforced by her glimmering eyes, the right one a clear blue and the left one, dark green.

She saw me and her face lit up even more. I couldn’t remember ever seeing a smile get that big. It, off course, wasn’t such a hard task since I couldn’t remember anything that had happened before this day and I’d spent much of my time with Reyna, Bobby and Lupa, who seemed less likely to welcome me with such ease.

Gwendolyn skipped to my level on the stairs and took my right hand into hers, shaking it enthusiastically, her dismatching eyes blinking with energy as she studied my face. She looked like a doll gone wrong, with her eternal happiness and intensity. I wanted to shy away from her excessiveness but found myself thinking it was quite endearing, even if a bit weird.

“I’m Gwendolyn Mendes, praetor of the fourteenth Legion.” She said, finally letting go of my hand. “You must be Percy Jackson, the unknown.” Then her eyes seemed to focus on something behind me. The girl waved, twisting herself to look at Lupa. “Has he gone through the tests yet?”

I gazed at her over my shoulder, watching as the director – back in her human form – nodded and disappeared into the big house.

“Does she, it, whatever, always do that?” My voice sounded confused and a bit irritated but if Gwendolyn noticed, she didn’t act accordingly.

“Not really. Lupa usually doesn’t appear to the soldiers. We all know her because of the initiation, when she goes back and forth between her two forms as a way of provoking or scaring us.” The girl paused, giggling. “As a wolf, her powers can be completely accessed. As a woman, though, she is able to walk through the Legion’s grounds without attracting much attention.”

Despite the sincerity in her voice, I couldn’t really believe that Lupa could ever be mistaken for some other camper.

“You said you’re a praetor?” I had never heard of such a thing and Gwendolyn smiled by my side as she lead me across the camp, pointing out the arena and the arsenal as Bobby had done earlier. It was quite clear that the girl had been waiting for my question.

“We have a very rigid hierarchy here. I figured no one had explained it to you yet.” She smiled again. We had gotten to a sort of square, a tall marble structure filled with carbonized wood that was probably a camp fire surrounded by lodges of different constructions. “The soldiers are differed by their godly parent and put on their respective lodge.” The girl indicated a series of 14 small houses.

The two on the middle were specially bigger and more detailed than the others, though they had an air of abandonment to them. That same aspect was attributed to the houses beside them: a dark cabin that seemed to be made out of bones and concrete and a sea themed one, with grains of sand that glimmered in the light which didn’t feel as unwelcoming as the others.

“The one of white marble is Jupiter’s with Juno’s by its side. Pluto’s is the dark coloured one, the lodge with the grains is from Neptune, those are Diana’s, Apollo’s, Minerva’s, Rivalita’s and Mars’.”

The girl continued her explanation over each lodge but I had already lost focus and was staring openly at my father’s cabin. It felt similar to something even if I couldn’t remember what and the scent of salt water brought a smile to my face. After a day of surprises and nearly dying, such expression felt strange.

“All of the lodges get a Censor. They are responsible for maintaining the peace, supervising public morality and overseeing if all of their siblings are doing their tasks. Censors are elected by the others from their lodge.” Gwendolyn snapped her fingers to get my attention. “That is the first rank.”

Apparently, if you’re good on your train and earns respect in the Legion, you’re turned into a Dux, what means you have certain control over troops but still isn’t of military patent. If you get a Quest and succeed in it, you’re turned into a Praetor and you take the part of commandant inside the camp. Being a Praetor, you also turn your siblings into your soldiers, composing a Legion. The number of the Legion goes accordingly with the number of their Lodge.

“Just the most talented Praetors turn into Consuls and become leaders of all the Legions. Until the present, though, only Bobby has gotten such an honour.” For a second, a shadow crossed her mismatched eyes.

“There was someone else, wasn’t there?” I asked, frowning at the sadness that her face showed. Gwen sighed, shifting her gaze to the marble structure where would be the camp fire.

“Jason. He was a son of Jupiter and a Praetor, a friend. The ceremony would take place in a week. Yesterday, Reyna and I were going to tell him about it but, after a long time looking for him all over the Legion, we realized he’d disappeared.” I recognized the name from before, when Dakota and Reyna had found me. “Reyna took it terribly, they were together, though most people didn’t know about it.” She gave me a lopsided humorless grin. “You had to really know them to notice.”

The sudden depthness of the conversation made uncomfortable. I didn’t know Jason but it wasn’t difficult to understand that he was important in the camp and that his disappearance had caused confusion and worry on many campers.

“So, you know Reyna well?” I tried to change the topic and Gwendolyn smiled slightly, seeming pleased with this fact.

“Yes. She’s also a Praetor. Fifth lodge, Mars. Since we are Legion leaders, we get our own cottage. Like the lodges, each room is customized accordingly to each god.” Gwen pulled me to the other side of the square, where a long and solid construction was present; it had the same arcs and columns of the rest of the roman camp. “Living together brings you close, I guess.”

“I don’t think she likes me very much.” I commented as we entered the house.

“Yeah, well, Reyna doesn’t like anyone very much.” Gwen smirked in her energetic way, walking deeper into the cottage. “She is always hostil but under that tough aspect there is a very loyal, very understanding girl. This is her room.” And she pointed at a door where a knife hold a lion’s fur. “It was a present from her father so she put it there to mark it as hers.”

Gwendolyn continued down the hall, showing me the bedrooms that belonged to Dakota – “Juventas’ daughter, she’s instinctive, a bit naive, full of youth but not the brightest cookie.” –, Bobby – “Smart guy, he has this really spot on impressions and likes to throw his charm around but has his heart on the right place.” –, Hazel – “I don’t think you’ve met her yet. Soon though. She’s very quiet, gentle. Trivia’s daughter even if her biggest talent is her way with people instead of her magic.” – and, lastly, hers.

It was... strange. The room seemed to be separated into two areas: the bright yellow and the dark green. There were posters with different quotes, drawings of various scenes and photos of what could only be Gewndolyn, her friends and family. From the stereo that sat on a table on the more obscured area of the room came the sound of what I recognized to be Greenday.

A girl with shoulder length spiky black hair and electric blue eyes grimacing at a song of Jesse Mccartney.

The image was gone at the blink of an eye and it occurred to me that I knew her and that she was important to me in some way. I sighed, feeling completely exhausted with my incapability of remembering anything.

“I know it’s unconventional but the whole ‘What to chose’ thing is more with my siblings, so I just went for the extremes.” Gwendolyn explained with a smile that made me think that she hadn’t realized my expression of misery. She giggled again. “Not bad for a daughter of Janus, I guess.”

The name of her father made something in my stomach turn, like it had done with Ares, but I ignored the sensation.

“Janus, the god of doors, gates and choices?”

Gwen turned to me with that energetic, happy-happy look in her eyes.

“Something like that.” She then skipped back to the corridor. Many of the rooms were still empty since not many quests had appeared in the last ten year. We were almost at the living area when the girl came to a halt and turned to the door by her right, looking puzzled. Tentatively, she extended her hand and turned the doorknob. “And this” Gwen paused, turning to stare at me with a astonished expression. “is your room.”

It was of the same size as hers, with walls of sea green. Just as Lodge Three, it smelt like saltwater and the sun that came in reflected in sand sat on the windowsill. It was indredibly familiar but it still wasn’t home.

“How could you know?” I suddenly asked, noticing I had entered the room and was examining it in silence for quite some time. “I don’t think I told you I was a son of Neptune.”

Gwen gave me that humorless lopsided grin again.

“Bobby isn’t the only one with strange feelings.” Her eyes darted around the place. “I had never been here before. It matches your eyes.” The daughter of Janus then looked at me with more attention, gazing at my shirt. “I hadn’t noticed. What happened to your clothes?”

I looked down to my t-shirt. The place where the words had been written was now teared, revealing the tanned skin of my chest. I couldn’t remember when had this happened since I was sure it was okay when I was about to leave the big house. I frowned, recalling how close Lupa had been to hurting me.

Was that what she intended?

“I’m not sure.” My answer – as had been all my answers – was vague and completely pointless. It didn’t seem to bother Gwen because she got closer to me, analysing the rip.

“Lupa attacked you. Still, here you are, alive and without a scratch in your skin.” Her tone was calculating and it didn’t seem to fit with her disoriented aspect. The girl stood up straight, watching me closely. “You don’t know who you are and that can mean danger for us but our director had let you in. Nor I nor Bobby feel like you are to be mistrusted but you just keep coming with things that make me question what the heck you are.”

I didn’t appreciate the way she objectified me.

“What I don’t understand is why you all see me as danger.” I replied, my tone a bit louder than intended. I glared at the daughter of Janus as she tilted her head to the side, not a bit affected by my irritation.

“You appear on our ground a day after our leader disappears. You don’t know who you are or where you came from. You are a son of one of the Big Three, just as Jason. And, if that wasn’t enough,” From under her sleeve, Gwen took out a dagger. Before I could prevent it, she had already moved it to my stomach. I waited for the pain to come but all I could hear was the sound of metal hitting an impenetrable surface. “you have bathed in the Styx.”

I opened my eyes to find her face inches from mine. From up close, mismatched eyes and lopsided grin seriously reminded me of a very inopportune fly.

I led my hand to my stomach but there was nothing there but a new tear to my shirt. Despite the soft texture and the scars that my body presented, my skin was completely indestructible. I let out a cry of surprise, taking a few steps back and following onto the bed. Gwen was still staring at me but there was a look of entertainment in her eyes.

“What... How?” I asked, my throat feeling strangely dry.

“Only you can tell me that.” She retorted, shrugging. I blinked again, my eyes unfocused as I tried to take in this fact. The girl walked silently and sat by my side, her face contorted into worry. My expression must have been of total shock. “ You really didn’t know.” Gwen sighed and, then, smiled again, going back to her energetic ways.

She skipped as she went back to the hallway, almost dancing in her strange walk. The girl stopped at the door, grabbing the handle and grinning at me

“There are clothes at the wardrobe, food in the kitchen, an armour in the trunk and I’ll come to get you when the others get here.” She turned to go away but hesitated and looked at me over her shoulder, a kind expression in her unusual features. “And don’t worry. Whatever happened to you, I’ll help you find it out. See you later, superman.”

And with a loud laugh and a joyful spin on the spot, the daughter of the god of gates, beginnings, ends and choices closed the door.
over a year ago xx_vanille_xx said…
laugh
wow ur a awesome writer !!!!!!
over a year ago Jas55jar said…
laugh
that was like the best Son of Neptune chapter ever!!!!!!!!!!
As always amazing work. You impress me every time. Can't wait to read the next chapter
post soon
over a year ago blakerose12 said…
big smile
This is so good post soon can't wait for the next chapter!!!!!!!! :)
over a year ago mcsdoctor said…
I've read it and it is amasing. please post, Please!
over a year ago magicgirl123 said…
big smile
cooll!!!!!!!!!
crying
Ok this is my favorite fan fiction but you gave up on it! Please don't!
I haven't given up. I'm trying to update it weekly. The next chapter might come today or, in the least, tomorrow.
over a year ago mcsdoctor said…
Please please please be tomorrow!!!!!
Hey guys! Sorry it took so long. I swear I'm trying to update it weekly but there's been just so much to do. I always end up chosing a day to alienate myself from society and write the chapter I created in my mind the whole week. Hope you will be pleased with this. If so, comment and help me show it to the world. LOL

Thank you for reading.

Chapter 3: I make a bond

I woke up later to screams. Loud voices seemed to argue about something outside my room’s door and if they didn’t want me to hear, they were making a really crappy job about it.

Sitting up on the bed, I blinked my eyes, trying to clear my mind from the vestiges of sleep. After Gwen had left me alone in my room, I had finally realized how tired I was, my muscles straining at every move and my eyelids dropping with exhaustion. Something in the back of my head associated this with the fact that I had bathed in the Styx, as if such strength also sucked my energy.

With great power, comes the great need to take a nap.

Like so many other memories, that phrase was gone in an instant, showing me that my remembrances were still there, just completely inaccessible to me. That realization just made me groan, wondering what would I have to go through so I could get it back and thinking that it obviously wasn’t going to be easy.

Something told me, though, that my life had never been easy.

Getting up, I walked across the room, getting to the door and pressing my right ear to it in an attempt to understand what was being said. Despite being loud, they still sounded too muffled for me to grasp it’s meanings.

Feeling more bothered than before, I opened the door, entering the hallway. The voices, I noticed, were actually coming from the living area, which was about three feet from my room. Making minimum noise, I made my way to the end of the corridor and peeked inside.

Bobby, Reyna, Dakota, Gwendolyn and a girl I hadn’t met yet but that was probably Hazel stood there. The daughter of Mars was screaming her head off at Gwen, who seemed to shrink under the glare of her supposed friend. Dakota, apparently, had just arrived and was also yelling, telling Mackingley to shut up.

“Just stop, ok? You know it’s not her fault! Her decisions are what she thinks will help and, even though they aren’t always the best for us, they usually are for the better.” The blonde said, her tone reminding me of that defiance that all of the teenagers have. It might have been the fact that she was daughter of the goddess of youth; full of fire and holding that air of invincibility that I could see in all of us in minor ways.

“Do you think I don’t know that?” The brunette exclaimed back, now turning to Dakota. “I just can’t see how he living here can be of any use! He’s not one of us, not yet anyway.” The look in Reyna’s eyes was of almost hysteria and I pushed myself against the wall behind me with a little more intent, trying to escape from her fiery self. “What were you thinking, Gwen?! That we had an opening so it was okay to get a new guy?”

That seemed to have done it. The daughter of Janus whimpered loudly and, with that, I realized she had started crying. For a second, Reyna’s aspect seemed to quiver between guilt and fury and quickly turned into apathy as the girl shifted her gaze to a spot next to the rug. Dakota just stared at the brunette, looking overwhelmed, like a kid that can’t really grasp different concepts.

The redhead I still hadn’t seen around the camp took a step closer to the other three, attracting the atention to herself. Through the whole thing, she and Bobby had been leaning against the wall, much like I had done, just observing.

“Rey, this has nothing to do with Jason, ok? This boy, Perseus Jackson, he has been accepted by Lupa and both Bobby and Gwen see something in him that you obviously don’t.” She paused, letting her gentle words hang in the air. In that moment, I understood what Gwen had meant when she said that Hazel’s biggest talent was actually her way with people. As she talked, her tone seemed to calm me, setting my mind at ease. “You say you can’t see how that may benefit us but how can it not? Even if he’s no major clue on helping find Jason, he is a powerful demigod that can turn into a valid soldier, colleague and friend.”

The whole room seemed to have quieted down and even Gwen’s tears appeared to have come to an end.

“I know this has nothing to do with Jason.” Reyna said in a hurtful tone, still looking down in shame. “It just irritates me that he has come out of nowhere and just gone through the ranks with absolutely no reason at all. We don’t know if he can fight, we don’t know if he has any special abilities.” She banged her fist on the wall. “Pluto, we don’t even know who he is!”

“Why can’t you just trust –“ Dakota started, her eyes full of pleading innocence.

“I can’t trust a stranger, ok? I just can’t! And you shouldn’t either! Does Gwen even have the power to turn him into a Praetor? I’m not sure Lupa would be all that thrilled that he was installed here as if part of us when he hasn’t even been acknowledged as a soldier yet.”

At the mention of Lupa, though, Bobby had taken a step closer to them, standing beside Hazel again. His blue eyes seemed softer than they were the first time I saw him but his expression was still serious.

“I thought something like this might happen and have already seen Lupa. She says it’s for the best.”

At the same time that reassured me, it also made me strangely nervous. Being in the same house with a girl who hates me and other four people that aren’t sure of what my appearance means is not exactly my idea of how I wanted to spend my days here. I almost sighed, thinking back of the lodge with the glistening walls and the saltwater scent.

In my mind, though, it was made of rough gray stone with pieces of seashell and coral and felt much more like home than it had when I was actually near it.

“I guess that finishes the argument.” Exclaimed Gwen. I had almost forgotten about her. She looked like nothing had happened and was already smiling like the Cheshire cat she usually was. The girl, then, threw her arms around Reyna and hugged her. The other brunette didn’t mind, though she rolled her eyes in annoyance. “I forgive you but just because you are under a lot of stress.”

Dakota and Hazel smiled at their friends, seeming pleased, but it was Bobby who laughed.

“Now that’s done, I shall just let you know that Perseus Jackson is right in the hallway, spying on us.” I felt myself freeze in my completely failed attempt of going back to my room. The girls turned to the entrance of the living area, alerted by Robert’s warning, each of them with a different analysing look in their eyes.

Hazel stared at me with curiosity in her big dark green eyes, much like Gwen’s left one. She had very soft features, I realized, and an even softer air about herself. I didn’t know if it was because of the magic she possessed but there was something certainly enchanting about her in a completely platonic way.

Dakota was wide-eyed, blue irises full of childish surprise as if the mere idea of my presence there had never crossed her mind. That was probably part of her mother’s heritage: her bipolar aspect that changed between the innocence of childhood and juvenile confidence.

Gwen looked as irregular as always, with her messed up hair and mismatching eyes, still seeming to emanate energy as she smiled lopsidedly at me in what she probably thought was going to be a reassuring way, her right foot scratching the floor.

And, then, there was Reyna, still with her suspicious glare and aggressive posture, as if she was going to attack me if I made any abrupt movement. My eyes focused on her form and my hand slid to my pocket, grabbing my pen. I felt like a subdued animal, ready to fight at any cost to survive though knowing how slim the chances of so were.

But we just stood there, both probably looking ridiculous in our battle instances as the others sighed, groaned and laughed at our distrusting antics.

“Oh, stop, ok? You guys will be seeing each other much more, maybe it would be a good idea to try to talk, instead of fight.” Gwen’s cheerful sugestion was received with a glare from both of us as I walked to her side in a tense manner and Reyna dropped herself onto the couch, hands still closed into fists.

“I think I’m gonna go get me some ice cream. Hazel, Gwen, Percy, why don’t you all come with me?” The blonde’s request, though unusual, was welcomed by the three of us, who agreed to it in an instant before exiting the Praetor’s cottage by the back door.

Dakota and Hazel lead the way, talking animatedly about this search group that had been sent all over the country to look for Jason. My exotic friend stood behind, walking silently by my side. I wasn’t sure what to say to any of them. I didn’t know this people and they were going through a difficult time, having just lost a friend. I was an intruder.

At the sight of my frown, Gwen put a hand on my shoulder.

“Don’t listen to Rey, ok? We are all going through a rough path but it’s part of being a demigod. We don’t have normal lives, we don’t go to proms and read a book in the park and we don’t have the luxury of giving people the benefit of the doubt.”

I wanted to retort, to say something that would show her that we could be normal despite the fact that we, well, weren’t but there was a feeling in the back of my head that told me that this girl was right. I looked down at my shoes as we made our way to a tall and seemingly old construction that was probably the eating area.

“Don’t look so miserable about it.” Said Dakota, twisting her neck to look at me, her blonde curls shifting beautifully in the sun.

A girl holding her hand to me, looking like she wanted to laugh, wearing a bright orange t-shirt, jeans and a baseball cap that held her curly blonde hair up.

I flinched, rubbing my temple in an attempt to diminish the headache. The girls were around me in a second, making me sit down on the grass and asking what was wrong. I couldn’t really understand how they could be so worried about me even though we’d just met. Reyna probably would have kept walking without even a double glance in my direction.

“I’m okay. It’s just... Every time I try to remember something, I get this terrible pain in my head. There are little triggers all over the place.” I explained, my mind still a bit fuzzy as it wrapped itself around the blonde haired girl. I got up and continued walking towards the dining building.

Who are you?

Gwen was skipping by my side in a matter of seconds. I didn’t even bother looking at her and just kicked a pebble along the way, still too fazed by the sudden memory to want to talk about it. The brunette didn’t seem to appreciate it because she put herself in front of me, blocking my entrance. Behind her, the construction was desert.

“Where are Dakota and Hazel?” I asked, feeling defenceless despite the fact I was carrying a pen that could be turned into a sword.

“They thought it was better to leave me alone with you.” The girl crossed her arms, still examining my face. “Why are you acting as if we want to hurt you?”

“Because you’ve given me every reason to think so.” I responded, irritated.

“Reyna might but the rest of us have done nothing but trying to help. Stop being such a jerk! We want to understand you!” Gwen exclaimed, pushing me. I blinked and stared at her for a while as we took in her childish attack. And, then, we laughed.

“I think you might be spending too much time with Dakota.” I said, imagining that this would be something more like the daughter of Hebe.

“I think I just might.”

And we laughed again. For some time, we just stood like that, letting our laughter quiet down and die into the silence of the building.

“What’s your story, Perseus Jackson?” The brunette’s voice sounded puzzled and I comprehended that she couldn’t understand why exactly she was helping me since she wasn’t even sure about who I was. Yeah, well, join the club.

“I don’t know.” That sentence felt bitter in my tongue as I said it for what seemed the hundredth time. She sighed. “What about yours?”

I didn’t know what had made me ask but it was a good question. I wasn’t the only one with a past, though I was the only one that didn’t remember it. So, what had this exotic girl gone through that had brought her to the Legion?

Gwen dropped herself into the ground, pulling me down by my upper arm. The cold marble wasn’t uncomfortable as the sun was starting to set and it’s warm light heated us. She fidgeted slightly, hesitating to start her story.

“You know, being a daughter of Janus isn’t easy, though most of my friends think of it that way.” She gave me her lopsided humorless grin. “I have a gift, yes. And, just like Dakota said earlier, it might always be for the better but that doesn’t mean it will be the best for us.” The modification on the sentence didn’t go unnoticed by me.

“My whole life, I was always the lucky one. My mother didn’t really understand who I was, why my choices gave us so much benefit but went along with it. Not because of what you may think, love, but because it was the best choice she could make. My ability meant incoming and incoming meant survival.” There was a bitter note in her tone but I decided to let her continue. “The best thing I ever made was getting out of that house.” The way Gwen closed her eyes as she said it, though, made me think there was more to it.

“But...”

“But it wasn’t the best thing for my mother. She died three weeks later. I don’t know how.” The girl stopped while tracing a crack on the ground. “I was able to get to the wolf house, the sacred lands. Lupa found me there just when I was starting to question why I had done it all. Ran away, fought monsters that no one else could see, crossed the state to a place I’d never known existed.”

A small, sweet smile appeared in her lips. It was the first completely normal expression I had seen her do all day.

“Reyna was the first person I met here. She helped me find a place where I fit, make a name for myself. Three years ago, I had my first mission. Bobby, Hazel, Dakota and Jason had been on one the year before that. They all came back in one piece, despite being on a group of four. Call it luck, I guess. We’d always been somewhat fortunate. Jason, Reyna and I were sent to defeat the Trojan sea monster.”

Her voice cracked and Gwen took a deep breath.

“I miss him, Percy.” She confessed, turning to look straight at me. Through the pain in her eyes, I also saw her hope that I was really a clue to all of this. Taking her hand into mine, I squeezed it lightly and tried to offer her a gentle smile.

“Don’t worry, Gwen. I’ll do all I can to get him back.”
big smile
So good keep on ppossting posting posting!!!! Great chapter!:)
You are amazing! The detail in your chapter makes me feel like I was there. I had to remember that you're not RR. I love your writing and I can't wait for chapter four!
heart
That was an amazing chapter!! i luved it!!!
Post post soon!!!!!
over a year ago myth-freak214 said…
^ yeah. what he said.
big smile
Please post soon love your chapters!!:)
over a year ago Mythmaniac said…
crying
Please post soon, I love your story and also the chapters!

P.S. I really love your chapters PLEASE post soon!!!
over a year ago PersesJr said…
love it.write more plz
over a year ago 131newbee313 said…
Please continue!
^^^^ yah please
wink
post post ppppppoooooooooooosssttt do it or ill shout
over a year ago Csk214 said…
tongue
Nice job. It's getting a little confusing thought