The Hunger Games Mockingjay (Spoilers)

Rain666 posted on Aug 25, 2010 at 05:46PM
Your thoughts about the book?

Personally this was my least favorite book out of all three. I liked it but it was rather disappointing. Especially i really disliked the ending because i have always disliked Peeta and him ending up with Katniss just felt wrong to me. Also i really hate what kind of character Gale became, especially i hate the part what he played in Prim's dead. Speaking of deaths i can't believe how many off my favorite character died (Finnick, Cinna, Madge..)

Stuff i liked i really loved Finnick's and Annie's story (well everything relating to Finncick) his backstory and what capitol did to him was really moving, same goes to Haymitch's story too.

So all in all, the book was good but first two were better

The Hunger Games 9 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Book_freak said…
I quite liked it, and yes I was sad that so many died, but i was very scared that it was going to end up with a Disney ending (e.g. The Capitol surrenders and they find a machine that magically brings everyone back to life). I almost had a heart attack when Gale almost died in the invasion, and god, poor Prim. Buttercup's reaction was worst for me. How bad is that?

It's still numb to me, i read it in under 24 hours, maybe in a few day's it'll sit more comfortably.

Over and out.

Nightlock nightlock nightlock.
over a year ago Rain666 said…
Some of my favorite quotes from book

Finnick?" I say. "Maybe some pants?"
He looks down at his legs as if noticing his outfit for the first time. Then he whips off his hospital gown, leaving him in just his underwear. "Why? Do you find this" - he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose - "distracting?

Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.

What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses.

The page begins with the person’s picture. A photo if we can find it. If not, a sketch or painting by Peeta. Then, in my most careful handwriting, come all the details it would be a crime to forget.Lady licking Prim’s cheek. My father’s laugh. Peeta’s father with the cookies. The color of Finnick’s eyes. What Cinna could do with a length of silk. Boggs reprogramming the Holo. Rue poised on her toes,arms slightly extended, like a bird about to take flight. On and on. We seal the pages with salt water and promises to live well to make their deaths count.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
I can't reread that last paragraph ^^ I'll start crying again. I'd like to add to that second line though:

"Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear." I go ahead and decide to like Boggs.

Well I actually think it was... amazing. OK so characters changed. But my question is how could they not? Yes, Peeta went insane, but if he went through that torture and didn't he wouldn't be the Peeta we love. And how could Katniss not be depressed and suicidal after everything she went through? It shows how human they are that they were that affected.

Aside from that I think you have to focus on the big picture not just the characters individually. I think Collins portrayed what war is really like. What happens when you challenge something so powerful as the Capitol? People die by the thousands. In the end you question if it's worth it, if people are dying and killing for the right reasons. How much does a rebellion have to become like the enemy to win a war? I think Collins used Gale as the questions personified. He didn't question his tactics because he hated the Capitol so much but didn't feel the need to rise above their awful methods. And in the end it probably killed Prim and it definitely destroyed any chance he and Katniss had to be happy together. It's tragic that it ended the way it did but that's what happens in wars.

The deaths were unceremonious a lot of the time which I know is shocking - when Finnick died my face was exactly like the surprise emoticon I'm using for my mood. And when Gale was captured and it turned out he wanted Katniss to shoot him. I mean seriously! How is this a teenage novel?! Oh Peeta's whole family didn't make it out of the bombings. Oh and they found the remains of Madge and her family too they're in the wheelbarrow just there. Oh and Finnick just got decapitated (does anyone else get the feeling having Finnick O'Dair's lovely head torn off was kind of intentional? - trust the most attractive person to die the most grissly way). Oh and now Prim's dead. It. was. rough. The best death I think was actually the death of President Coin. I was pretty proud of Katniss because if Coin lived it was obvious she'd end up being exactly like Snow and tens of thousands of more people would have to die to achieve what they wanted initially.

But I still think the ending is lovely. That after all that death and destruction and horror Peeta and Katniss are still able to love and be there for each other. Love still pulls through in the end. If it wasn't for the fact I'm still a bit weepy over Prim and Finnick I'd be a little heartwarmed right now. Someone! Be heartwarmed for me! I'll go cry in a corner instead :')
over a year ago Rain666 said…
Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man they say murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree."

"Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out for his love to flee.
No stranger would it be

"Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free.
No stranger would it be

"Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me.
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

I really liked that song, even though it's a bit creepy.
over a year ago potterrox said…
I hated how gale just fell out of Katniss's life at the end. Yes, Gale had thought of the idea for the bomb, but he never would have used it on innocent children. He is a better person then that. And I don't believe that Katniss could just let him go, after all that they shared together.

And I think that Collins made a huge mistake when she killed Prim. Prim was the whole reason the revolution started, and she was the person that Katniss did everything for. Prim represented the future, the reason that the rebels were fighting. They fough because they wanted to provide a future for their children, so their kids wouldn't have to die.
over a year ago LeaXari said…
crying
When I started reading, I was expecting someone to have a tragic death, but it never happened. Not even for poor little Prim.
over a year ago Arissa1422 said…
Potterrox: What you said about Prim being the reason the revolution started, i think that Collins killed her because of that reason. Prim was the reason it started, and it ended, right after her death. Kind of ironic i believe.

I personally liked the book a lot. The Hunger Games, and Catching Fire were amazing, but i think this one was just as good. In different ways though.
over a year ago hayleyjade1997 said…
snoznoodle I completely agree with you. In every single respect. I finished the book today and it was incredibly rough. Not a kids book for sure. I personally have never been so emotionally torn apart by a BOOK, a fricking BOOK! Won't recover any time soon. RIP Finnick
over a year ago Me_Iz_Here said…
I was like "NOOO FINNICK! DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!" And that is NOT dramatic in any way.

And I have always liked Peeta. TEAM PEETA ATW!!! ATW souynds like a vehicle to me........