Van Morrison Over the Hill or Back on Top

Ray_Le_Blanc posted on Aug 24, 2008 at 06:58AM
Every great performer who succeeds over time is constantly subjected to the question, 'Is he or she over the hill?' Van gets this more than most simply because of his longevity. The rock/pop/whatever scene is supposed to be a young person's thing yet Van lives on. His albums sell in the hundreds of thousands and his 50 plus shows a year are invariably sellouts.

As for me I have followed Van's music since 1974. I was young then and so was Van. I've grown up with Van and unlike some artists, Van is constantly exploring new forms. This keeps his fans guessing what his next move will be and also provides the material for many a discussion over a glass of red wine.

What do you think? Is he over the hill?
save

Van Morrison 10 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Russell_Howard said…
He's definitely not over the hill, but he's neither 'back on top'. His glory days are probably behind him but every album contains a real gem or two.
over a year ago Maxine875 said…
I think Van is so much better than the musicians nowadays. They are so manufactured like those "Idol" shows. They make me vomit.
over a year ago della401 said…
I agree Maxine. Idol contestants haven't paid their dues. It's terrible music and everyone's buying it!!!!! Why???????? Van is so superior to those TV show people it's not funny.
over a year ago Jerang_Nieblitz said…
Van's a legend. May he live to 100! But what plans has he made for the afterlife?
over a year ago Dave_Howard1961 said…
Van, Neil, Bob, etc are bright lights on a rather dim horizon. May they live forever. Do they believe in Jesus?
over a year ago Gigi_Lee said…
You all don't know Van like I do. Yes, he has slowed down, but that's life. I'm over him now. Our relationship is strained.
over a year ago Roosevelt said…
How dare you! The great man is definitely not over the hill. He's amazing and I love his music. And his voice is full of power.
over a year ago Tab_Hunter said…
Define Power?
over a year ago Boydbird040 said…
Van is the greatest. He's even better than Allie Sherlock. She's young, pretty, pudgy and does great karaoke. But makes more money than Van. Dublin street performer fooling the masses.
over a year ago Toby_Jugg11 said…
Van Morrison is so seasonal. I have all my Van Morrison seasonal playlists. I guess it's a hobby. I'm feeling autumnal, but I'm out of whack. It's nutty.