Writing Fanpop Writers' Group?

Cinders posted on Jul 11, 2008 at 05:10PM
ANNOUNCEMENT MADE 10/20/08
-----

THE NEW SESSION HAS STARTED! link to join in the fun!

----

Are you hardcore about writing? Are you part of a writer's group in your daily life? Do you want to make sure your work will be heard and remarked upon?

How about joining the Fanpop Writer's Group?

I realize that a lot of these spots (the writing spot, the creative outlet spot) are kind of writer's groups already. But I'm working on a play right now, for instance, and it would really help if I could just share bits of it at a time to work on it with folks. Also, I would love to oblige anyone else working on something.

There will be cyber milk and cookies, if that tempts anyone...

-------------------

Premise

The Fanpop Writer's Group will be open all day Monday in any time zone. If it is Monday where you live, go ahead and check the forums. That means some of this will spill over into Tuesday for some of us, and some of it will begin on Sunday for others of us. But either way, still once weekly.

Each session, there will be a writing prompt, delivered by me, which writers may or may not choose to respond to. They may post content related to the prompt, or they may post content from last week's prompt, or they may post something completely irrelevant that they've been working on. The prompt exists only as a springboard for creativity. If the writer so chooses, she can completely ignore it.

To participate in a session, you will either A) Submit your own work, and/or B) comment on a writer's work. If you submit your own work, you must comment on at least one other writer's work (see the Three F's below for details). You do NOT need to submit your own work if you do not want to.

The Three F's

#1) Follow: First of all, the problem for most unpublished writers (and sometimes even published writers) is that it's difficult to garner a willing audience. By being a member of this group, you will need to pledge to read the work that is presented to the session. You should follow along with what's been posted. We are a group of friends who wish to support each other, and reading each other's work is a large part of that.

#2) Feedback: By joining the writer's group, you are pledging to both submit and comment on other user's work. Now you don't have to comment on EVERYTHING if you find you have nothing to say. But do at least comment on one writer's work every session you participate in. You do not need to submit something every session, and you do not need to participate in every session.

#3) Fairness: Be respectful of your fellow writers. Feel free to critique politely. We all love questions. The best form of critique is questions, I find. So feel free to ask questions. A good question is, "But what happened to the gun?" A bad question is, "Why is your plot so stupid?" This is a SAFE ZONE and we should all feel safe sharing our work here, with each other, even and especially if it's a work in progress.

Fanpop Writers' Group Members List
Cinders
harold
Spotty_Vision21
DrDevience
doonis
kaetliness2
chel1895
PkmnTrainerJ
blisslikethis (On Sabbatical; Please don't message)
amazondebs
Lila856
pollyloveshouse
Cammie
marissa
Golden-Monk
l3371
axlluver43

------

Expect the prompt at 9:00PM PDT (Seattle, San Fransisco, Vancouver BC). That is...

In the Americas (USA, Canada, Mexico South America) (Sunday)
10:00PM MDT (Denver, Guatemala, Managua, San Salvador)
11:00PM CDT (Chicago, Mexico City, Lima, Winnipeg)
12:00AM EDT (Monday morning) (New York, Philadelphia, Havana)

In Europe (Monday)
5:00AM WEST (UK, Portugal, Canary Islands)
6:00AM CEST (Spain, France, Belgium, Germany, Tunisia)
7:00AM EEST (Egypt, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Jordan, Ukraine)
8:00AM MSD (Moscow, Lithuania, Moldova)

In Australia (Monday)
12:00PM AWST (Perth, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur)
1:30PM ACST (Adelaide, Darwin)
2:00PM AEST (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne)

If you need it any more speficic, just ask and I will be happy to acomodate. These are the times the prompt will always be posted. Sorry for our Australian writers (Cammie!) who have to start in the afternoon, but it'll just run over until the same time the next day.

This is a twenty-four hour event that will begin at the time listed on Sunday/Monday and will end at that same time on Monday/Tuesday.

-----

Past Group Sessions
link
link
link (No participants, but some prompts for you)
link
link
link
link
last edited on Oct 21, 2008 at 06:46AM

Writing 81 replies

Click here to write a response...
You've gone too far. Reloading last forum page...