Writing Modernism In America

campluv98 posted on Apr 04, 2009 at 12:00AM
In my English class we just got to the genre/time period of "Modernism" in American Literature.We had to get into groups and read poems from that time period including,"Richard Cory"-Edwin Arlington,"Richard Bone"-Edgar Lee Masters,"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"-T. S. Eliot.
And So,anyways I was just wondering what are your thoughts on the Modernism period,"The Great Gatsby",and "Richard Cory".

Writing 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago harold said…
This is a very interesting question, because it's so different than most of the discussion we have in this club. Most of our discussions are about our own writing processes, but this has more to do with a critical thinking/emotional reaction to others' writing. Bravo - you're getting a prop for this one! We need more of this, and I never even noticed the absence until now.

I haven't looked at these works since university, so I may provide a more detailed reaction to those specific works later, but I recall being very impressed with Eliot. For all that the modernists claimed to reject a lot of the traditional forms, they were still very disciplined and fairly structured artists. The poems had a lot of depth and nuance to explore, and as such I enjoyed them more than all but the best of the post-modernists (and the most ridiculous ones, too; I have a taste for the absurd), whose craft was much harder to quantify.
over a year ago campluv98 said…
Wow!Thank you so much for your response.I didnt know ppl would think so great of my q,i was just curious as to share ideas.lol.Also,thank you for the prop:)
over a year ago harold said…
link was a DIRECT result of your question; I couldn't dismiss the idea that engaging in critical analysis of writing is necessary for writers to improve their craft.