Writing Character name discussions

harold posted on May 06, 2009 at 09:15PM
This thread is intended for writers to discuss character names, ask for help with character names, and suggest character names.

Writing 15 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Bookaholics said…
smile
Cool idea! This is a random question, but does anyone know some good names for dragons?
over a year ago harold said…
Generally, dragon names I've seen are formed with one primary consideration: the incredible age of dragons. Dragons are thought to be very long-lived creatures, so typical dragon names reflect that in at least one of two ways:

1) A very long and involved name, reflecting the age and experiences of the beast: Lazandos Filitak Wargorgon Zilpa Waichu N'ellekom Finraha Do the Mighty, Terror of the High Reaches and Master of the Wastes ("or Lazan for short") would be an example.
2) A name that sounds like an "ancient" language (usually Greek or Latin is used, though any language that sounds old to the reader would work). Vermithrax (from the classic film Dragonslayer is a great example. It sound arcane, and it also sounds awful, like vermin and anthrax.
over a year ago pixie09 said…
cake
if i cant decide on a name, i usually google a name which best describes my character .. the only problem is that i cant find the name "Marishka" anywhere, im guessing its Russian or Romanian or something .. but i cant find what it means !!
i heard it from the movie "Van Helsing" .. if anyone knows what it means TELL ME PLEASE !!!!!! ty
In Russian, it is supposed to mean "sea of bitterness", but since it was Van Helsing it was probably something to do with Dracula or other character from the region of Hungary (I haven't seen the film, alas), where Mariska (which is pronounced the same) is just an affectionate version of Maria. It would be similar to Maricita in Spanish.
kiss
ooo that is awesome .. thankyou so much !!!!!!
For link (HELP!!!!), I suggest Victoria and Darren.
over a year ago teamalice_0 said…
I need help here a description of my characters

a boy with fluffy browning blonde hair, and a girl with luscious white-blonde hair
For link ("I know this question is asked a lot..."), I suggest Brianna (girl #1), Abigail (girl #2) and Vittorio (guy #1).
over a year ago ryans_love said…
heart
to teamalice_0 - i'd suggest Elliot (or El for short) for the boy, and Marisa for the girl. other ideas are Matthew (but his hair has to be curly) and Marie.
For link ("I need names."), I suggest:
Girl#1: Vivian or Vivienne
Guy #1: Drake
Girl #2: Pauline
Guy #2: Philippe
Guy #3: Warren
Main villain: this one is tough, because I have no idea whether the character is old or young, supernatural or human. Human/old: Marcus, human/young: Derek, supernatural/old: Artaxeter, supernatural/young: Lilianne
Kid #1: Frankie
Kid #2: Melanie
Girl #3: Carmen
over a year ago ilovejs said…
zzz
boring
over a year ago j1edwardcullen7 said…
rainy
It's not boring. It's cool. Do you have any ideas for a vampire name?
It's nothing like Twilight.
I now hate Twilight.
This is an Italian vampire, from hundreds of years ago. And I can't use Vladimir or D'mitri, because those are used for characters with similar ideas in other series, and I don't want this to be too cliche. :)
You could try some common Italian names, such as Massimo, Antonio, Maurizio, Giovanni, Sergio, Biagio, or you could go for older, Latin names such as Marcus, Vergilius, Didius, Gaius.
over a year ago xxXsk8trXxx said…
Do you like the names for my characters?

Leina Legowitz
Elias 'Dead Eye' Romero
Logan Sanders
Violet Petulengro
Nicole Murphy
Daniel Young
Janis McFray
Neigel Doe
last edited over a year ago
haha, they're good and i know someone called daniel young xP

does anyone know a whole bunch of european last names? like russian, german, french, spanish, dutch etc ... or any good sites where i could find some ??