Writing What's YOUR First Line?

XDRoseLuvsHP posted on Oct 07, 2010 at 12:41AM
Okay, here's how it goes.
Just write the very first sentence of any one of your stories. No more than the first sentence. Just the very first one.
Hopefully, this will inspire people. I hope this forum will give people ideas as to how to start a story they are struggling with, or perhaps give people ideas for stories period.
The only rules are:
-No Spamming (obviously)
-No Stealing Other People's Ideas
If the first line of your story is, for whatever reason, the same as another persons, then just explain it, and that's that.
-Don't be unnecessarily rude

The first line of the novel I'm writing right now is...
They were watching.

Note: If you want, it doesn't have to be from an actual story. It could just be a cool line you thought of in your head. I thought of one too, and here it is:
My name is Chimere, and I do not exist.
last edited on Oct 07, 2010 at 01:01AM

Writing 101 replies

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 51-100 of 101

over a year ago head4heart said…
From The Liberty Days:

(about a boarding school during the 1940s)

'The train sped away from the city, past the stocky houses and the spindly cathedrals. '

Understandably, my character is an evacuee being taken to the boarding school for the first time.
over a year ago Lapsones562 said…
The sun shone down on ___
over a year ago POPclogger216 said…
I have two stories.
The first one: Falling.
The second one: I watched as lightning lit up the sky in bright flashes of blue and white.

The first sentence of the first story is part of a dream/memory/ idea/feeling/lack of memory. The main character is abducted by these weird guys that look freakishly hot, talk like cannibals ('No Jace. I found her, I keep her." " -He likes to play when it comes to food') but their not. I'm not about to give off any more of the story, because that would ruin it. ;)
The first sentance is again, part of a dream, but the main character is living a normal life, married for a year, and he has a newborn baby. Then, as the child grows up, the child starts seeing things like 'Fairys' and 'Angels'. That's as far as I've gotten as to planning it.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago reb1009 said…
smile
i have 2, the first is: it was his only chance, go big or go home.
the second: it was the last quarter, the game was tied 10-10.
over a year ago iceprincess7492 said…
smile
The first line of my spn fanfic: "They were coming."
over a year ago 3rdCj2ndCJR said…
heart
This is from a story I wrote when I was younger. I called it the Lost Powerful Cat. It started like this, "One Day,
Their once was a cat named Joey who can talk to humans."
(He frieks ppl out & dated a bird named Emma once.)
over a year ago breebree446 said…
cake
For anybody else, a typical day probably wouldn't start off with fencing; especially not in an antique shop... - Bane from my story series, Mystech
over a year ago ArtemisDiana said…
I'm sort of writing a sequel to Peter Pan. Random idea I had one day.

The first line is: When our bus had dropped us off after school that day on our corner we would never have expected what we were about to see.
over a year ago txter32 said…
Sam rolled out of bed and onto her floor at some point during the night.

Not sure if I'm going to finish it though... wish me luck!
over a year ago vskparaimer said…
The smell of garlic was becoming more and more intense in Emma's nostrils.

Okay, I know this does not sound like anything, but it's a huge thing right now.
over a year ago xAnberlinx said…
tongue
I fall to my knees, the pressure on my back and throat just too much.
Violet always had a hard life. She struggled for survival, and her parents died struggling.
over a year ago alexM16 said…
smirk
a crowd of people were gathered around a stage were the presedent stood giving a speech. there were many armed body gards around him. a hooded boy somewere in his teens slowly made his way through the crowd up to the stage. his right hand cluched tightly around the knife in his pocket.

sorry i know its suposed to be only the first sentence but i thought it was a bit to boring so i put the first few sentences
over a year ago RiverIce said…
ive got alot of books....

"Audrey got out of the car. The smell of gasoline and burnt rubber stung her nose."
-The Four of them

"Let me just start off by saying, I do not live on earth."
-Moonlight

"I get a shiver that runs down my back. The History room is always the coldest, but seems colder now that there is no one talking… just the flips of paper."
-Story Life

"“Bye mom! Going to school!”
“Did you forget something,” She responds giving him his lunch bag.
“Thanks mom, what would I do without you?”

At age eleven his mother died."
-Sending off Hints to the Forest

"Once there was a 12 year old girl, she was named Suzy Ann. "
-Suzy Ann

"I see my mother in my brain and smile."
-I dnt know what to name this one...

"Hi. I’m Alex. I’m eleven years old and have a really extreme story."
-Nanook

"In the middle ages when there were kings and queens and knights exist, the world was split in two."
-The War

"Mackenzie, the Fire Princess, thought and smiled mischievous-like at her plan. “Killer!” she called in her solid voice that echoed throughout her castle. The lion came in, his mane, was flames, literately, and his paws scraped against the black, coal floor. The lion purred in its deep voice, “Yes, my Fire Princess?”

-The Fire's Snow
over a year ago wolfclan121 said…
well this is a few lines of my first story Captivity

I'm trapped,out of breath and surrounded by evil. I'm in Captivity.

over a year ago amutokitty said…
On Christmas Eve in a small town, so far from the big cities that it was scarcely spotted on maps, a cut-up girl with ratty black hair and a bloodstained school uniform wandered, clutching her side as she limped along.
It's from my story Cold Feet, about a girl who loses her memory and has the ability to see ghosts, and she's tormented and hurt by them, yet no one else can see what happens to her, only her screaming in pain while she becomes injured out of nowhere. Soooo...
Yeah.
over a year ago AbbieCoast said…
From William's Story:

My first memory is of my grandparents crying.
"One day, a women named Amy was pregnant with her husband’s, Walter, baby."

The whole story falls under two twin 1/2 warewolves.
over a year ago NordicVeronica1 said…
blush
"I know there is nothing I am holding on to anymore - yet for the fear and love that drives me to stay, I have lingered here in an overhanging garden of shadow."

That's pretty much it...
over a year ago kakukun said…
This came from my first story: Parallel Syndrome.
"My life used to be perfect."
over a year ago morganaforever said…
First line of my prologue:BTW - Ashmore is a dragon.
Ashmore dreamt of a time when she soared through the skies, worshipped by the weak two- legged species called humans

First line of my Fantasy story:
Liam gazed at the horizon in awe; in the distance he could see the legendary city of Asaia, the jewel of the lands.
over a year ago Nathan-Croak said…
This is from my new short story: Death of An Era

Drenched in the staunch of blood and sweat, the man stood tall as the victor.As the moans and cries of of pain died out, the clouds began to double in size.With a bright flash flollowed by the loud crack of thunder, the heavens began to weep. The battle has end. A brother has killed a brother, and home is but a memory.
over a year ago MegaraRider said…
When she woke up, a strange woman was standing over her.
over a year ago katniss311 said…
It was night time. Which almost automatically meant that what we were doing was totally illegal, with a capital "I".
over a year ago Phangirl7 said…
"The big red-brown wolf fell to the ground."
over a year ago morganaforever said…
heart
Her heart sinks before she even has enough energy to open her eyes. She was meant to be dead.

It's about suicide because I think it's important to let people gain awareness and let people know that they are not alone.
over a year ago POPclogger216 said…
She was half alive, half dead, lying on the thin mattress in the small dusty room, where she had been for the last few days.

This is actually the first line from an exerpt of a story I'm planning to write. I wrote it because of my friend's insistance of giving a very horrible, gory, and sadistic death to everyone in her story (these are all people in our class), and I retaliated with this story. It's about a man who is a torture expert, and he steals people off the streets to perform new techniques on them, and see how well they work in getting secrets out of people.
over a year ago SisterOfThalia said…
My first story- "Ever get the feeling you're being watched?"
My sequel- "After what I'd gone through last week, you'd think nothing could shock me."

I'm writing Percy Jackson fics.
over a year ago wantadog said…
Nearly 200 years ago, the world we lived in was filled with terror, sex, murder, and much, much more.

Ya mine kinda starts out a little bit depressing.......
over a year ago Caleigh210 said…
My heart raced against my chest as the darkness slowly closed in all around me, taunting me, making me feel useless against the world.

It's about a girl who's framed for murder. This story is intertwines the idea of cloning and what people can do to anyone with that power.
over a year ago CallaLily11 said…
tongue
I am finished writing three books...

1-(Restricted, about physco children with weird pasts) I was in the court room with my brother, Xavier.
2-(The Black Crow, about a land trying to kill a bunch of people and it has a romeo and juliet kind of theme) I walked into the shack I live in with two bedrooms and one kitchen.
3-(The Cold Hearted, about three teens that have to defeat three castles, sort of a romance) I woke up in a snowy field with nothing in it, just me.
over a year ago kaylap1410 said…
Waking up is the hardest part of the day.

Then the character starts taking about how she prefers dreaming than living. She's suicidal.
over a year ago -BelovedRobin said…
I put my original writing on hold for this Young Justice fanfic titled, "Power Blitz." The first goes:
"Snapping his newspaper loudly enough to startle the tour guide’s equilibrium, Vash cocked an eyebrow while his slim face smugly contorted. "
over a year ago ZekiYuro said…
smile
That was the first time I had been face to face with him and seen him clearly like that.

It's about Yurin,the first time she saw Ukyto.This is a fantasy and action novel too.Title:'The Cold Shadows'
Me and one of my frends are working on a story together. She tells me what she wants to happen and I write it down with my words and grammar. We have some funny moments in it....
It goes, "There were two girls shopping at the mall thinking about the possibilities of life." It isn't very catchy. I know that much, but it gets interesting.
over a year ago lilyjoy3025 said…
this is from a try at a book a while ago.

Prologue:
"Smoke of a different kind followed the fiery haired man as he ran."

Chapter One:
"The flickering of the flame danced befoer Jackie's liqiud eyes, eyes the color of the wax sustaining the fire."
over a year ago PonygirlCurtis7 said…
big smile
there was not much bright light where i was.

this is my book that i am REALLY HOOKED on. i ACTUALLY hav a good idea!!
over a year ago ArtemisDiana said…
"I am just one in a million. Nothing special, just another person passing by on the street. That's what I've always been, and that's what I always thought I would be, until they showed up. For some reason, they seem to think I'm special, but I don't believe them. After all, how special can anyone in this world really be, with all the other people already living in it?"

Just a random paragraph that popped into my head. It seems to me like it would be a good start to a story, but I'm probably not going to use it, so maybe someone else can.
over a year ago tigerseye43 said…
I got up to the sound of glass crashing to the floor.- My Crazy Bounty Hunter Life by me
(its about a bounty hunter who always has the baddest of luck but she always catches her guy.)

It was another normal school day, well as normal as school gets.- The Earthquake by me
(About a group of friends who are trapped in a building when a major earthquake hits.)
over a year ago wisegirl778 said…
When I wake up there is a warm mass right next to me I realieze with a start that it is my little sister Lea. Sarah on the Edge by me. you can find it on here actually
over a year ago Hattress said…
"Do you really think the apocalypse is coming?" <--- prologue
"The city's changed." <---- 1st chapter

Both from a book I just started. my stories almost always start with a simple sentence.
over a year ago sparkles3 said…
I woke up surrounded by wolves.

The first sentence of a story I'm still working on, Wolf Girl. I got the idea from a myth that I read about a girl raised by wolves.
over a year ago thetribute said…
My books almost always start with dialogue. It feels a little smoother for me, and it helps me avoid cliches.
The first sentence is:
"Are you feeling weak, dizzy, confused, stressed, paranoid or on your death bed?"
over a year ago tigerseye43 said…
It's a new story I'm working on, a post-apocalyptic story.

I knew it had begun by the way everything fell silent.
over a year ago slytheringirl7 said…
This is a fantasy type story:

"The world is pitch black, but a small light is gleaming in the distance."
over a year ago XxLostAngelxX said…
I'll probably change it later but...
"The hollow illusion of good first came into my view in church."
over a year ago zanhar1 said…
Fort Rock was a disturbed old series of buildings, used way past their time—a time tracing back to the very early 1800’s.

Basically a description of the main building of the story.
over a year ago TARDIS-Granger said…
I had just finished my homework and was signing my name- Alice Bane- and was stuffing it into my backpack when I saw it- a small piece of really old, folded, crumbly paper.

From my novel I'm working on " the Alana chronicles: letters from the past
over a year ago claty said…
"Lauren was a 15 year old girl with special powers/"

Its a book about a girl who can read and control minds. The title is "Lauren's Fate."
claty commented…
I posted it on here yesterday, over a year ago
claty commented…
I posted it on here yesterday, over a year ago
Nric commented…
It's such interesting. My personage is 15 years old and can read minds too. But he's a boy:) over a year ago
over a year ago Nric said…
laugh
Only one first sentence? Ok... "He is ready." That is all